Come and Serve in the Dakotas this Summer
If you feel called to serve the Lord in ministry, this is the perfect opportunity to begin to explore that calling in your life. We are looking for students to come and serve in either local churches or in a ministry team during the summer here in the Dakota Baptist Convention. Interns will be paid $200 per week. Ministry opportunities will be determined by the needs we receive from our churches and may include: VBS, Backyard Bible Club, block parties, camps and other summer ministry. If you are between the ages of 16-21 and want to serve in ministry this summer, please check out our guidelines below and fill out an application – available as a link from this page.
If you have any questions regarding the application process, the guidelines and expectations or anything else regarding summer missions; please contact Jeff Musgrave at 701-818-8801 or by email at email@example.com
- You are an active member of a Southern Baptist Church in ‘good standing.’ This means you regularly attend your church by being there more than 50% of the Sunday’s in any given month.
- You read and agree with ‘The Baptist Faith and Message – 2000’ document. This is a statement of faith agreed upon by all Dakota Baptist Churches (DBC) and Southern Baptist Churches (SBC).
- You are a committed and maturing / growing Christian, demonstrating Christ-like conduct in daily life.
- You have assurance of your salvation based on the authority of the Word of God.
- You have a burden and vision to reach men, women, boys and girls with the love of Jesus.
- You are willing to participate in personal evangelism.
- You are committed to verbally sharing your faith in Jesus.
- You are open and willing to learn new methods to share about Jesus Christ with people.
- You are willing to work hard and to learn new ministry techniques / methods.
- You are flexible and willing to serve the needs of the church / local association.
- You are willing to make a commitment to work two to six weeks.
- Each week will consist of five days of ministry – teaching/helping with a Vacation Bible School class/group or Backyard Bible Clubs, prayer walking, helping with block parties, and other ministries as assigned.
- Be self-disciplined to study and prepare for each teaching opportunity
- Have the ability to communicate effectively, especially on a children’s level
- Able easily to get along with both children and adults
- Work under the authority and supervision of both a local church leader and a DBC representative.
- Be able to follow directions given by the local church leader or DBC representative.
- Always be aware of personal safety as well as safety for any children you are working with.
- You will attend a two-day orientation and training process at the start of your summer term.
- Your Southern Baptist Church pastor will need to write a letter stating you are:
- a member of your church for at least six months
- attend more than 50% of the Sunday worship services monthly
- your pastor recommends you to be a summer missionary
- Submit three (3) other personal references from people who know your commitment to Christ, to your church, and to the work of ministry (These should be no more than a page each. Please submit them by means of a letter to the Dakota Baptist Convention office @ PO Box 549, Rapid City, SD, 57709.
- If you know of the church or association where you would like to work, please include that in your application
- NOTE: You will NOT be able to serve as a summer missionary in your own church.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATION IS APRIL 1, 2020.
Qualifications for Church Plants and Existing Churches to Request Summer Missionaries
- Your church must be in good standing with the Dakota Baptist Convention:This means (a) agreement with the mission of the Dakota Baptist Convention and (b) agreement with the Baptist Faith and Message (2000)
- Your church must give to the cooperative program on a regular basis
- Your church has a plan for the use of this summer missionary / missionaries. This plan must cover work for your summer missionaries for their term of service. A DBC staff member will contact you for additional details or clarification regarding this plan. (Note: Your church can partner with another church / churches to use these summer missionaries. The missionaries are expected to work 5 days a week with time off for each missionary each week. A copy of this plan must be submitted with your church request.)
- Your church has a burden and vision to reach men, women, boys and girls with the love of Christ Jesus. Your church is committed to evangelism and its practice among your congregation and your community at large. (It is expected that teaching evangelism and practicing evangelism will be a large part of any work of our Summer Missionaries)
- Your church is committed to discipleship and its practice among the believers in your congregation and others who may be visiting your church. (It is expected that your church will work to disciple each of your summer missionaries)
- Your church must agree to work with the designated D.B.C. staff member. The D.B.C.’s Executive Director will determine the staff member.
- Churches will be responsible for lodging and meals.
- Your church agrees to use the assigned summer missionary in a safe environment.
- Your pastor or designated staff member / elder will attend the two-day orientation and training process at the start of the summer term.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATION IS APRIL 1, 2019.